Silver Line:

I wrote this during the holiday season a few years ago. I don't know why but I always like the idea of us learning something from those we'd least expect to.

“To the Silver Line” I heard the man say.
Him standing on a street corner
His hat and hair looking disarrayed
With his beard getting all the while thinner.

I stopped and asked him what he meant.
With his sentence of supposed cheer.
And the only statement he gave back to me
Well it was simple and sincere.

“Ma’am – I stand here to spread some light on a world that looks so sad
The Silver Line is all that is left, it is all I ever had”

I studied him for a small moment
And then asked him one last thing
“Sir, you seem so happy why do you stand HERE and sing?
Of all the places in this world where joy illuminates around
Why is it here on this dirty street corner that you say to the Silver Line?”

He smiled and pointed without a sound to a girl on that same street
“You see that girl, well she has less than me, and she showed ME the linings streak...That the sun does shine, as birds do fly, and trees budding flowers too:
A smile, a tear, a laugh, but now fear – for love is all that we have!
The Silver Line is only safe if we let it be just that
Safe and Sound in Heart and Soul
Where all things come around
The Silver Line is what we have left
When all else runs a ground.”

I walked away in slight confusion wishing to comprehend.
And then I quit my searching understanding my “Silver friend”

I was looking for the big bright things
Those that knock down all my doors
But I saw that life with all its’ gifts
Can be Big and Small – And Yours

So maybe the man on the corner had an intuition after all.
Our Silver Lines are what Life is really all about.
Maybe let life give out the signs so our hearts will open wide
And the Rest will be Set Free – In you – In Him – and in me.


Devin-Anne ©

Comments

Popular Posts