Wrinkles...in all the right places...


I had a conversation with my mom the other day. She told me about a funeral wake she went to for a friend from long ago. While she was there a woman she had never met expressed to my mom how beautiful of a person she is and that she had wrinkles – and they were all in the right place.

Let that sink in. As my 40 year old self, who stares into the mirror every day and imagines what a facelift or Botox would do for the things on my face – my mother, who is not 55 as she has my 9 year old believing… (Sorry mom!) Was told by a woman who had been a very close friend of the late friend, this woman who had never met my mom… told her one of the most beautiful things I have ever heard:

“You have wrinkles, but they are all in the right place”

… beautiful.

Wrinkles are predetermined to happen.

Remember when you were a child and would make a face – your parents would look at you and tell you if you didn’t stop making that face – your face would stay like that… (And now admit you have said that to your little ones!)…

Or the years of hard times when your teeth may be grinding or sad times take on and you feel that laughter is just another dream to attain… each person has been there, is there, or may encounter days like these… it is putting them behind us that is the journey to perfect wrinkles.

What I think us as adults tend to realize – we smile a lot more during a day than we know. How else do our lines around our mouths go up and not as easily down? How the wrinkles around our eyes when we smile – look like little smiles too.

All the right places. For sure.

My mother was a single mom. She worked her tail off. I think she thought for the past 30 years that her wrinkles that she desperately tried to cover up and always pull back from her face with her hands – and ask that question all moms turning into grandmas ask… do I really look this old?

My mom, after she was told that amazing beautiful statement – sounded like she was smiling through the phone, a bit of a confidence boost, a bit of pride in her brilliantly placed wrinkles…

Next time you see someone with wrinkles – tell them they are all in the most perfect places. It may change years of thinking.

CassieAnneClaire© 





Comments

Popular Posts